July 16, 2013

Flutter - An iOS Dashboard for Flurry Analytics

In my previous post I discussed analytics services in the context of mobile applications. In particular, I focused on Flurry Analytics and included a code sample demonstrating how to integrate this service into an iOS application.

So what's the next step? As either a mobile developer or marketing expert, you probably want the ability monitor the data collected by Flurry Analytics so you can identify and respond to trends. To meet this need, the Flurry website offers some powerful tools for visualizing how your applications are used. It breaks down numbers by country, version, device, operating system, new user, active user, session and more. This tool is comprehensive and allows users to generate a wide variety of custom reports. While it functions on mobile devices, the experience is far from optimized.

Being a developer with several Flurry-enabled apps in the App Store, I searched for a mobile-friendly solution. I wanted a native iOS app that would make it easy to check my usage statistics on the go. I didn't want the kitchen sink, just the analytics that were most relevant and the ability to visualize trends over time. Several options already existed in the App Store, but none were elegant or easy to use. Having recently completed the iOS & Mac Application Development Certification Program through the University of Washington I thought I'd try my hand at writing an app in objective-c to address this need.

Two and a half months later, I finished work on Flutter and pushed it to the App Store. Flutter is a dashboard for viewing Flurry Analytics on an iOS device. It focuses on primary usage statistics such as active users, new users and sessions. Custom events and multiple companies are also supported. Graphs and totals can be evaluated over some of the most common date ranges (Today, Yesterday, 1 Week, 1 Month, 6 Months, 1 Year). Flutter makes use of many powerful open source technologies including CorePlot, PKRevealController, ESNetworking and SVProgressHUD.

Learn more and download Flutter today! I'd love to hear your feedback.

No comments: